2 Day Course for new sailors wanting to experience (have fun) sailing while learning basic sailing skills.
Intro to Sailing Course
Learn to Sail | Basic Sailing Skills
- Have you always wanted to see what it’s like to sail?
- Thinking about taking sailing lessons and want to learn more?
- Looking for a quick refresher to get back on the water under sail?
This 2 day (12 total hours) course is all about having a fun sailing experience getting an introduction to the world of sailing, and learning basic sailing knowledge and skills that prepare you to get started sailing! Runs from 10AM to 4PM each day.
– Experience a Two-Day Introduction to Sailing –
Sailing is a unique and exhilarating experience that allows you to connect with nature in a way that is hard to describe. A day of sailing can be both relaxing and challenging, and it requires a combination of physical and mental skills.
As you set sail, you’ll feel the wind in your face and the power of the boat heeling beneath you. You’ll need to pay close attention to the direction and strength of the wind, optimally trimming your sails and steering the boat to maintain your course. As the day goes on, you’ll likely gain a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction as you learn, overcome challenges, and simply enjoy a day on the water under sail!
Introduction to sailing gives you everything you need, and more, to get started sailing.
About Introduction to Sailing
Practical On-the-Water Training:
- Prerequisites: none, come on down!
- Small group training with discounts for 2 or more participants booked together.
- 2 days on-the-water sailing and training, including Basic Sailing Skills endorsement upon successful completion of the on-the-water assessment and online knowledge course.
- Commitment to Sailing Competence
The practical Introduction to Sailing course is designed for new sailors seeking a hands-on sailing experience and a fun opportunity to try sailing while learning the basics. Unlike more advanced courses, which cover more complex topics such as navigation, Introduction to Sailing focuses on providing you with the fundamental knowledge and skills necessary to safely start sailing.
Learn and participate in sailing the boat:
- Preparing for departure, hoisting the sails, and safely getting ‘underway’
- Steering, reading the wind, points of sail, and trimming the sails
- Sailing maneuvers: tacking, jibing, heaving-to, crew overboard rescue
And of course you’ll see the Long Beach skyline and cargo ships from the water. If conditions allow, we’ll venture out into the ocean!
The course includes NauticEd’s online Introduction to Sailing course, which takes only about 3 hours to complete (at your convenience prior to course) and provides the basic knowledge needed to get started on the water. Additionally, you can also take the included Navigation Rules Clinic and Basic Sail Trim courses (highly recommended).
Upon successful completion of the on-the-water course, the online knowledge-theory course, and based on your instructor’s assessment – you’ll receive NauticEd’s Basic Sailing Skills endorsement.
What’s next? After Introduction to Sailing you’re ready to take the Basic Skippering Skills Course, which lays the foundation for skippering a large sailboat in fair weather.
Course Fees, Schedule & Registration
- $599 per person
- $539 per person for 2 or more participants registering together with 1 payment.
- Valentine’s Special – book in February for 20% off, 2 together = $479 per person!
- 8% Long Beach Harbor fee applies
- Please see our Cancellation / Rescheduling Policy